You are here: Manawatu County Council
Reference: MDC 5.1 / HDC 4.1
Record type: Agency
Record: Manawatu County Council
The Manawatu County Council was formed in 1876 as one of 63 covering the whole country following the disbanding of the provincial governments.
As originally constituted the Council ran from Waikanae in the south to Rangiwahia in the north. Like many of the first counties, parts of the Manawatu County gradually broke away and formed their own counties or boroughs.
The Palmerston North Borough Council was formed first in 1877, with Feilding Borough Council next in 1881. The County was then split in half in 1883 when the first Oroua County was formed. This was quickly followed by the Horowhenua County Council, which broke away in 1884. This left the County covering a fraction of its original 1876 area. In 1888 the Foxton Borough Council was formed.
In 1988 the County amalgamated with neighbouring Kairanga County to form the first Manawatu District Council. In 1989 this amalgamated with several other councils to form a new, much larger, Manawatu District Council.
In 1877 the county was established with seven ridings:
In 1886, following the break away of the Oroua and Horowhenua Counties, the ridings were re-constituted into:
- Mount Stewart
In 1895 Campbell was renamed Rongotea when the township's name was changed.
In 1956 the Beach Riding was formed from part of the Awahou Riding.