You are here: Bridges of Rangitikei County Exhibition: Vinegar Hill Bridge

Record type: Notional

Record: Bridges of Rangitikei County Exhibition: Vinegar Hill Bridge

 

Bridges of Rangitikei County:

Vinegar Hill Bridge

The first bridge at Vinegar Hill was built in 1896. The great 1897 flood washed away one of the support piers and two spans were lost.

A permanent replacement for the missing spans wasn’t completed until 1901. In 1926 the remaining original portions of the bridge were replaced by steel construction.

In 1973 a replacement bridge was recommended. Built in concrete, it was constructed next to the older bridge and was opened in 1976. Shortly after the earlier bridge was demolished.

   

  

Close up of the original bridge, circa 1896.

Reference: A/2013/38 Box 12

 

View of the original bridge, circa 1896.

Reference: A/2013/4 Box 3

   

         
 

  

View of the new and old bridges side by side, 1976.

Reference: A/2013/38 Album 1, page 20 

 

Plan of the Vinegar Hill Bridge, 1895.

Reference: A/2013/43 Roll 76

 

 
 

 

     
 

 

 

 

 

Discuss This Record

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Tags