You are here: Protecting the Heretaunga Plains Exhibition: Maintenance and Expansion, 1940-1970

Record type: Notional

Record: Protecting the Heretaunga Plains Exhibition: Maintenance and Expansion, 1940-1970

 

PROTECTING THE HERETAUNGA PLAINS:

Maintenance and Expansion, 1940-1970

Following the completion of the Ngaruroro and Tutaekuri River works, attention turned to the Tukituki River. The creation of the Hawke’s Bay Catchment Board in1943 delayed the works for a short while. By 1957 work on stopbanking the Lower Tukituki River was completed.

In 1954 the state of the Ngaruroro River was being re-examined. Some concerns were raised with the siltation of the river and the impact this was having with the overflow channel. Added to this, an increase in traffic meant closing the roads in the overflow channel during flood events was causing more and more inconvenience.

Several schemes for diverting the Ngaruroro River were considered, eventually settling on redirecting the river along the path of the existing overflow channel. It was adopted in 1959 by the Catchment Board and work was completed by 1970. The former lower part of the Ngaruroro River was renamed the Clive River.

   

Image of the overflow channel in 1944.

Reference: HBRC 00055 : 2

 

Plan showing the proposed schemes in 1954.

Reference: HBRC 00055 : 1

   

 

An outline of the different schemes that were considered in 1954.

Reference: HBRC 00055 : 4

     
         
 

 

 

 



 
 

 

 

 

 

Discuss This Record

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Tags