Horowhenua County Council
The Horowhenua County Council was formed in 1885 from the southern part of the Manawatu County. The offices of the County were first established in Otaki. The first meeting of the Horowhenua County Council was held 24 January 1885.
As first established the County had three ridings: Otaki (area surrounding Otaki township), Te Horo (southern portion of county around Waikanae) and Wirokino (northern portion of county including Levin and Shannon). In 1893 part of Wirokino Riding was split off to form Tokomaru Riding which started just south of Shannon and covered the northern most part of the county.
In 1896 the County offices were shifted to Levin.
On the 9th of February 1898 a major fire destroyed the County Offices and many early records were lost. Some records survived the fire in a safe, although many were badly charred.
In 1989 as part of the Local Government organisation the County amalagamated with Levin Borough, Foxton Borough and part of the first Manawatu District Council to form the Horowhenua District Council. The southern part of the County around the Waikanae and Otaki areas became part of the new Kapiti Coast District Council.