Horowhenua District Noxious Plants Authority
Under the 1950 Noxious Weeds Act County Councils were responsible for ensuring control of noxious plants. In 1976, under this act, the Horowhenua County Council formed the Horowhenua District Noxious Plants Authority to oversee the carrying out of this function. In 1978 the Noxious Plants Act was passed, which required all local authorities to form District Noxious Plant Authorities (DNPAs) for their area. Rather than each council setting up their own individual authority the Levin Borough Council, Otaki Borough Council, Kapiti Borough Council and the Horowhenua County Council investigated forming a joint DNPA. In 1979 the new Horowhenua District Noxious Plants Authority was formed and held it’s inaugural meeting on the 6th June of that year. The Authority was responsible for employing a Noxious Plants Officer, approved subsidised noxious plant control programmes and recommended to the Noxious Plants Council the classification of plants in their district. In 1989 the Horowhenua Authority was amalgamated with a number of others to form the new Manawatu Wanganui Regional Council.