Mangamahu Road Board
The Road District was constituted by a Special Order of the Wanganui County Council on 1 November 1907. Its area covered a portion of the Upper Wangaehu Road District. The Board held its first meeting 6 May 1909.
Wellington Provincial Government allowed for the establishment of road boards within the province for detailed work on rural highway development. Finance came from rates and grants from Provincial Government. The abolishing of the provinces in 1876, followed by the 1878 Counties Act, provided the Road Boards with powers to construct and maintain roads, while the newly formed County Councils had responsibility for constructing the main arterial routes. The 1882 Road Boards Act provided for the regularisation and unifying of board structures and powers, with the emphasis on detailed road work over small areas. The County Councils were also given the power in 1876, to merge Road Boards into Counties, on a petition by ratepayers. With the completion of many roading projects, most road boards were abolished between 1900 and 1929.
The Board held its final meeting 10 August 1912, after which it was dissolved and merged into Wanganui County Council.