Mangawhero Road Board
This road district was created from the western side of Ward 5 of the former Wangaehu Highway District (agency aae). It covered a large area north of the Makirikiri Stream extending to the boundary of West Taupo County. The Road Board’s first meeting was held 19 January 1884.
The Wellington Provincial Government allowed for the establishment of Road Boards within the province for detailed work on rural highway development. Finance came from rates and grants from the Provincial Government. The abolishing of the provinces in 1876, followed by the 1878 Counties Act, provided the Road Boards with powers to construct and maintain roads, while the newly formed County Councils were given responsibility for constructing main arterial routes. The 1882 Roads Board Act provided for the regularization and unifying of Boards’ structures and powers, with emphasis on detailed road work over small areas. The County Councils were also given the power in 1876 to merge Road Boards into Counties, on a petition from ratepayers. With the completion of many roading projects, most Road Boards were abolished between 1900 and 1920. The Mangawhero Road Board was merged with the Wanganui County as from 31 March 1917 (see Wanganui County minutes of 14 February and 21 March 1917).