Oroua Drainage Board
The Oroua Drainage District was constituted 18 November 1909 and comprised the former Sluggish River Drainage District and the Horseshoe Drainage District. In 1912 the Drainage District separated back to previous Drainage Districts but the name of Oroua was retained for the former Horseshoe Drainage District. The Board continued to operate after the creation of the Manawatu Catchment Board in 1943, providing a close link to the farmers in the area and carrying out improvements to the river schemes initiated by the Catchment Board. In 1989 the Board amalgamated with many other authorities to form the new Regional Council.