Patea Waitotara Pest Destruction Board
The Patea Waitotara Rabbit Board was formed in 1924 as an act of foresight rather than necessity as rabbit numbers were not high in the area. Due to this there was considerable opposition as farmers objected to paying rates when there was no immediate problem. By 1929 the Board was employing five staff. In 1932 all staff were dismissed and the Board instigated a one shilling bounty on rabbits, this was due to ratepayer pressure. The Board then reemployed staff in 1934 to carry out gun and dog hunting. In 1968 due to changing legislation the Rabbit Board became a Pest Destruction Board. In March 1974 the Board amalgamated with the Wanganui and Hunterville Pest Destruction Boards to form the Western Pest Destruction Board.