Wairarapa North County Council
As originally created in 1876 this was known as the Wairarapa East County Council and it's boundaries covered the eastern half of the Wairarapa, from the south coast through to Waipawa County. In 1883 the boundaries of the County, as well as those of Wairarapa West County, were altered by Gazette Notice so Wairarapa East covered the northern half of the Wairarapa, and Wairarapa West covered the southern half.
As part of the Counties Act 1886, it was renamed the Wairarapa North County Council (at the same time Wairarapa West was renamed Wairarapa South). Between 1878 and 1887 a number of Road Districts were formed within the County, including Pahiatua in 1878, Alfredton in 1884, Eketahuna in 1886 and Akitio in 1887. These Road Boards either amalgamated back into the County later on, or were used as the basis for forming new county councils. The Pahiatua Town Board was formed in 1886, which later became the Pahiatua Borough Council.
In 1889 the County was split and the new Pahiatua County Council was formed. In 1898 the County was split again, with the creation of the Akitio and Eketahuna Counties. In 1899 the Mauriceville County was split away and finally in 1900 the remains of the county were split between the new Masterton and Castlepoint Counties. No records are held for this County or for the successors which fall outside of the current (2010) Tararua District Council boundaries. The archives of this council are held by the Masterton District Council, although the archives of Wairarapa West County (covering the western half of the county for 1876-1883) are held by Carterton District Council.