Browse by Council
If you are looking for archives from a particular council then first select the appropriate council from the regional map on the About page. You will be redirected to the councils landing page where you can browse the selected council's accessions, series and individual records which are listed in alphabetical order.
There are several ways to search for items in the Archives Central database:
- The most basic search type is to enter the term(s) you are looking for into the search field at the top right of the page and push the Search button. This will bring up a list of results across all councils series, accessions and records relating to your search terms;
- You can also utilise Boolean search. This is a type of search allowing users to combine keywords with modifiers, such as AND, NOT and OR to further produce more relevant results. For example, a Boolean search could be "dredge" AND "Wanganui". This would limit the search results to only those records containing the two keywords;
- There is also a simple keyword search function within Agents, Accessions, Records and Series; and,
- If you wish to restrict your search to an exact phrase then surround the words you want to search on with double speech marks (eg "Foxton Harbour") and this will only search for items that have those words together in that order.
- If you are looking for a particular format, such as a map or photograph, you can search for this by typing in the words you are after and then follow it with the word 'map' or 'photograph'. This type of search is not exact and will also bring up any entries that include the word photograph or maps.
Refining & Sorting Search Results
If you wish to restrict your search you can select from the options on the sidebar to the right of your search results. Options include refining by council, information type, content type, media type, series the information is included in and by tags. You can also sort your search results by relevance, title and date.
Exhibitions, Monthly Newsletters and Notional pages will also be able to be searched within the database. These will be added at a later date by Archives Central Staff as a considerable amount of reformatting is required after migration from the Kete platform to Islandora8.